With Christmas celebrations going on for over a month leading into its last week the celebrations are sure to only increase until the dust of the new year settles in. We, at the Paleo Palate Cafe intend to celebrate this festive season with our very own healthy version of the essentially paleo Chocolate Chip Rum Cake. Essentially because it can be easily converted to Keto to.. but I created keeping the Paleo audience in mind. 😀
Now I know you’d scream “BUT SNEHAL, RUM ISIN’T PALEO!!” Yes it isn’t! But like they say if you were to drink alcohol while still on Paleo stick to distilled liquors like Vodka, Rum and Brandy. And that’s exactly what I like to do time and again. A glass of rum or brandy hurt no one when had occasionally.. So enjoy the Chocolate Chip Rum Cake, will you!
But on the other hand it’s totally up to you. The addition of Rum is owing to the occasion.. otherwise you can omit the alcohol altogether and it gets as wonderful as a good ol’ Paleo Chocolate Chip cake, eh!
Point is it tastes incredible, nevertheless!
And this one is totally hassle free too. All you need is a food processor to assemble the ingredients together. Just dump them all and let the machine do its thing!
Also make no mistake.. its completely dairy free.. Even the chocolate chips used are completely void of dairy and sugar! Just free flowing cacao! 🙂
To make this low carb and keto complaint all you have to do is substitute the coconut sugar with equal amount of monk fruit powder and you are good to go!
The other great additions apart from the Chocolate Chip Rum Cake that will enhance your Christmas and New Years menu incredibly are my Paleo Ginger Cookies and my Almond Butter Bitter Sweet Cookies. So make sure you check them out too.
So lets get baking then….
Chocolate Chip Rum Cake
- December 25, 2018
- 12 Servings
- 60 min
- Print this
- Dry Ingredients:
- Sifted Almond Flour - 2 cups
- Coconut sugar or Monk Fruit - 1/2 cup + 3.5 tablespoons
- Psyllium Husk - 1 tablespoon
- Coconut Flour - 1 tablespoon
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder - 1/4th cup
- Himalayan Sea Salt - 1/4th teaspoon
- Baking Soda - 1/2 teaspoon
- Cream of tartar - 1/2 teaspoon
- Wet Ingredients:
- Eggs - 3 (Large | Brown | Organic)
- Pure Desi Ghee - 1/4th cup
- Dark Chocolate - 30 gms (85% Cacao)
- Coconut Oil - 2 teaspoons
- Coconut Cream - 1/4th cup
- Apple Cider Vinegar - 1 tablespoon
- Dark Rum - 1/2 cup
- To Garnish:
- Dairy and gluten free dark chocolate chips
- Food processor
- Baking Pan
- Parchment Paper
- Step 1
- Preheat the oven at 350 degrees
- Step 2
- To a Food processor add all dry ingredients and mix them together by running the machine for about 10-15 seconds
- Step 3
- Then combine dark chocolate and coconut oil in a bowl and run it through the microwave with an interval of 30 seconds to melt the chocolate. It took 40 seconds in my oven to melt completely.. So I ran it first for 30 seconds.. removed the bowl.. mixed it with a spoon and then ran it again for 10 extra seconds. We do this to prevent the dark chocolate from burning
- Step 4
- Now add the melted dark chocolate and other wet ingredients including the rum in the processor and process until it forms a cake like batter
- Step 5
- Add in about one tablespoon of chocolate chips at this point (if you wish) and process again for a couple of seconds
- Step 6
- Line a cake tin with a parchment paper and fold in the batter
- Step 7
- Garnish with chocolate chips and bake for 40 minutes
- Step 8
- Remove and set aside to cool
- Step 9
Check out the real deal here: