Cashew Coriander Cakes – Paleo Snack Ideas
The Cashew Coriander Cakes are inspired by a very popular Indian recipe from the western region of India known as Kaju Kothimbir wadi. Mu version gives it a refreshing Paleo twist and making it that much more healthier.
We have these street vendors across India who sell Indian staple snacks like wada paav (an Indian version of a burger, but less complicated), bhajiyas and kothimbir wadi at the corner of every street. All super indulgent but that much unhealthy. Snacks deep fried in vegetable oils and kept exposed to polluted street air.
And while I cannot think of consuming them today , there was a time when I stopped by one of these street vendors every other day.
Cashew Coriander Cakes – Vegan and Paleo Snacks
However, Paleofying these Cashew Coriander Cakes does bring back some memories and knowing that these are made out of clean ingredients makes for such a safe option.
I kept the process almost same but changed everything else. (Lol) Replaced a few spices along with a combination of different flours (because paleo) and baked them instead of deep frying them. And while I was a bit tensed at first, the moment I tasted them I realized nothing had changed.
These new Cashew Coriander Cakes had the same essence of the taste as I kept the dominant flavours intact and yet were so healthy and tasty. As most of my recipes this recipe too is very versatile and you can change the spices as per your convenience. While I use paprika and garlic powder along with chilly powder to spice them, I am pretty sure you can interchange these with oregano, thyme or basil leaves and they should still taste delicious.
This recipe is a simple 3 part process and can be assembled in 10 minutes. First step is to blend cashews into a powder, second is to assemble the batter and 3rd is to bake them.
Tadaa… So lets get to making these then:
Cashew Coriander Cakes
- 1/2 Cup Organic Cashews
- 1 Cup Almond Flour
- 3 tbsp Tapioca Starch
- 1 tbsp Paprika
- 1 tbsp Garlic Powder
- Himalayan Salt As per taste
- 1/2 tbsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tbsp Chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp Ground Sage
- 1/2 Cup Water + 2 tbsp
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Blend Cashews into a powder – don’t over blend as they will start turning into butter
- Next combine all the other dry ingredients in a mixing bowl along with the powdered cashews
- Mix well until well combined
- Then add the water in batches to form a thick batter
- Make sure there are no lumps in the batter – use a whisking spoon to smooth out the lumps
- You should end up with a thick & sticky batter.
- Line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper and pull out a small bite sized balls from the thick batter and place them on the baking sheet
- Next flatten them a bit using your fingers to resemble a shape of a regular cookie
- This batter yields about 24 such bite sized balls / cakes / cookies
- Bake them for 25 mins
- After 25 mins remove the baking pan and flip over the cakes to the other side
- Bake them again for an extra 10 minutes
- Remove and let cool
- Enjoy with your favourite dip