Are you the kind of person who is always worried for your family’s health? Do you often find yourself food policing your spouse or kids when they want to lay their hands on unhealthy street food?.. or are you the Nutritionista type who fights to strike the right nutrition balance for your family.. Well, the Tomato Broccoli soup is where you can begin.
It is seriously not as scary as it sounds and has the right balance of taste and health combined. On the contrary, the Tomato Broccoli Soup has a nice creamy texture and is a mild flavoured soup leaving your tastebuds wanting for more. And yes, even the kids will resonate with this one.
My four year old is extremely fussy when it comes to food and while I struggle to find a balance between yummy food and nutrition as most of you mommies out there, Tomato Broccoli soup not only fits the deal but it out does it with its creamy texture..
Broccoli is in fact the type of vegetable that should be consumed everyday.. (given the fact that broccoli is a great source of vitamin K and C and helps build collagen (which is extremely beneficial for the health of your bones) – but it isn’t possible to eat steamed broccoli or broccoli salads each day and kids won’t touch it if it is in the form of a salad and hence yummy variations like the Tomato Broccoli soup are the call of the order..
Here is goes then..
Tomato Broccoli Soup
- Medium sized Tomatoes - 5 (cut into halves)
- Broccoli florets - 2 cups
- Cilantro leaves - Handful (finely chopped)
- Garlic - 2 cloves
- Water - 750 ml
- Ghee - 2 tablespoons
- Cumin seeds - 2 teaspoons
- Himalayan Sea Salt - 2 teaspoons
- Cayenne pepper - 1 teaspoon
- Black pepper - 1 teaspoon
- Onion powder - 1 teaspoon
- Garam masala - 1 teaspoon
- Hemp hearts - for garnish
- In a pressure cooker add 1 tablespoon ghee
- Once the ghee is adequately hot add in cumin seeds
- As the seeds start to pop – add in the chopped tomatoes , broccoli, cilantro and garlic cloves along with 750 ml of water and boil them together – till at least the cooker whistle goes out 4 times
- Once boiled let them cool for a bit and the transfer the contents to a grinder and grind until all the contents have completely liquified
- If you have guests coming over you might want to consider running this through a sieve to discard extra seeds and any left over tomato skin but personally I like to leave it on as they contain high nutrition values
- Now heat a stockpot with 1 tablespoon of ghee in it.. Once adequately hot add in 1 teaspoon cumin seeds and as they start to pop again add in the soupy mixture that you have just removed from the grinder
- To this add Himalayan sea salt, cayenne pepper, onion powder, black pepper and garam masala
- Bring to a boil by covering the stockpot for about 5-7 minutes
- After 7 minutes turn off the gas and serve immediately by garnishing the soup with hemp seeds